If your students are yearning for another trilogy after reading The Hunger Games, consider teaching Divergent by Veronica Roth. The novel has started to grow on me the more times I read it...enough so that I started using it in class. Over the past year I've created several resources for teachers and recently posted them.
You can pick and choose which items you need, or buy them all in one bundle with my complete Divergent novel unit.
What you will find in my teaching unit:
• Chapter questions pack (This is comparable to my Student Survival Guide for The Hunger Games): It contains an introduction activity, vocabulary exercises, chapter questions, and integrated Common Core language, reading, and writing practice.
• Final Exam: 60 pages of Common Core assessments and answer key, plus it includes an editable Microsoft Word copy.
• Final Review Game: 30 questions covering characters, vocabulary in context, literary elements, figurative language, and plot (important events) from the novel.
• Factions Graphic Organizers: Reading aids for keeping track of each faction and their interactions.
• Research and Mapping Project: Have students research the city of Chicago, mapping the locations of each faction headquarters. This can be used with all three novels in the trilogy (Divergent, Insurgent, and Allegiant).
• Movie vs. the Book Activity Pack: Includes over 20 different exercises (some don't even require viewing the movie to complete). Great for using with the upcoming March release of the movie "Divergent." (Which is produced by our friends at Lions Gate®.)
• Create a New Faction & Write a Manifesto Activity: Let your students get creative while practicing their writing and critical-thinking skills.
• FREE Bookmarks: Print and distribute these Divergent-themed bookmarks to your students. One side includes each chapter and the pages
Many teachers were waiting for me to post this and I apologize that it took so long. I wanted to make sure the activities were relevant and completely aligned with the Common Core State Standards. Plus, I teach full-time, so...that tends to cut into my writing time. ;)
I hope you'll find my unit to fit perfectly into your curriculum. It is versatile for grade 7 all the way up through seniors. I cover almost all of the reading literature standards, as well as many of the language and writing standards. You don't have to worry about being "brave" going into this unit; I've got your back. Enjoy!
Need an AFFORDABLE option for classroom books? I purchased mine through Amazon, below. They are only $5.24 each and free shipping if you are a Prime member.