You can take this opportunity to discuss with your students the purpose of having a day to honor the office of the presidency and how that relates to The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and especially Mockingjay.
1. Why do we have a "Presidents Day"? What are its origins? Who declared the holiday and why?
2. How do many Americans celebrate "Presidents Day"?
3. Would "Presidents Day" be celebrated the same way in Panem? Why or why not.
4. In what ways do the citizens of Panem "honor" their current and past leaders? Give examples from the novel(s).
5. Do you think the citizens of the Capitol have respect for and honor President Snow, or do so for another reason? Explain.
What additional questions would you ask your students? Post in the comments below.
As always, thanks so much for stopping by Hunger Games Lessons! Make sure you check out my other blog, Mrs. Orman's Classroom.