|If Panem had elections... from Hunger Games Lessons|
You can prompt your students with the following questions that begin with "If Panem had elections...":
• If Panem had elections...
...would President Snow run for re-election? Why or why not?
...who would run against President Snow? Why would this character make a good candidate?
...who would be elected President? Why?
Have them delve even deeper with these questions:
• If Panem was a democracy, how would life be different for the district citizens? How would it be different for the Capitol citizens?
• Would there still be a Hunger Games each year? Why or why not?
• What should the voting age be? Why?
• Would there be age restrictions for those running for President? If so, why and what minimum age would you set? If not, why not?
• Would each district have their own leaders? What would they be called: governors? Mayors? Or something completely new?
If you would like handouts with graphic organizers and a student/group project for your students relating to the elections, I just posted these in my store tonight: Hunger Games Trilogy Presidential Elections Activity Pack
It's 14 pages of activities that encourage critical thinking; students will have to support their opinions with facts. It's also aligned with the ELA Common Core State Standards for grades 6-12. Download the free preview for additional information.